As a plumber, the majority of house calls I have to make are to do with leaking taps. Obviously in most cases it is correct to call a plumber but some times we are called to houses to carry out a simple job that takes five minutes and could have been easily completed by anyone with a little know how. Here are a few pointers that can help to avoid problems like these:
- Treat taps gently. They should be turned off with thumb & forefinger. If you are having an arm wrestle turning your taps off, stop it!
- Try to repair a dripping tap if you can. Always turn the water to the house off first!
- Simple repairs can be done by anyone. Don’t forget the o-rings, tap washers, tap seats and fibre washers. Lubricate them all.
- There are so many types of taps available today, even the pros need to seek advice.
- There is no shame in not being able to repair a dripping tap. I have seen grown plumbers cry over leaks like these